FUEL INJECTION TIMING
Checking of fuel injection pump timing:
- Turn 1 piston to TDC at the beginning of firing stroke.
- Turn backward to a point, a little earlier than fuel injection point.
- Shut fuel supply to engine, remove No. 1 fuel pump delivery valve assembly and put a bent pipe.
- Open fuel supply and when fuel lever is put to running position, oil will flow out at bent pipe.
- Turn engine towards TDC in its running direction slowly until fuel cease to flow.
- Check the marks on flywheel whether timing position is correct or not.
Slight difference can be adjusted by:
For large engine:
- Timing can be altered by shifting the camshaft to the position relative to crankshaft, after removing the idler gear between crankshaft and camshaft.
- Timing can be altered by individual fuel pump cam for adjustable cam type engine.