(By Kamal Hossain, Chief Engineer)
SOLAS REGULATION & REQUIREMENTS FOR STEERING GEAR
- Steering gear compartment must be separated from machinery spaces and readily assessable.
- Every ship shall be provided with main steering gear and auxiliary steering gear.
- The failure of one of them must not render the another one operation.
- Relief valves shall be fitted to any part of the hydraulic system. Setting shall not exceed designed pressure, i.e , 1.25 times of working pressure.
- Main steering gear and rudder stock shall be:
- Capable to put rudder hard over from 35 deg. one side to 35 deg. another side not more than 28 second while running with full sea speed and full loaded draught.
- They should be done at maximum astern speed as also.