Image Credit: www.rbrodarstvo.com
Dry docking survey is to be done every 2 ½ years interval , 2 times in 5 each year cycle , called annual docking and special docking survey. Special survey is carried out every 5 years interval.
As a Chief Engineer of a vessel , he must study the time of dry docking due , verify annual or special , and prepare documents & defect list to be repaired , at least 3 months priority for easy and efficient supports from ship company.
Preparation of Documents:
- The necessary plans , drawings , instruction manuals , service records of previous docking to be collected and kept ready . Copy of plans and drawing to be sent to dockyard on request.
- List and intend the followings to be supplied in time
- Needful machinery spares repair materials for ship staff’s job
- Collect and keep ready for special tools and devices
- Issued needful instructions for safety , fire precaution and pollution prevention.
- Issue assignments for the work to be done before entering dry dock and to be undertaken by E/R staffs under 2nd Engineer supervision.