Image Credit: almaco.cc
What is a Refrigerant?
- Refrigerants are used as working substances in a Refrigeration systems.
- Fluids suitable for refrigeration purposes can be classified into primary and secondary refrigerants.
- Primary refrigerants are those fluids, which are used directly as working fluids, for example in vapour compression and vapour absorption refrigeration systems.
- These fluids provide refrigeration by undergoing a phase change process in the evaporator.
- Secondary refrigerants are those liquids, which are used for transporting thermal energy from one location to other. Secondary refrigerants are also known under the name brines or antifreezes